Requirements of an apprenticeship or traineeship
Before an apprenticeship or traineeship contract can be established, it must meet certain requirements:
- The apprenticeship or traineeship is recognised as an approved trade or vocation.
- The position is paid employment under an appropriate award or industrial agreement.
- The apprentice or trainee satisfies relevant visa requirements.
- The employer and apprentice or trainee agree to the terms of the training contract, including:
- Trade or vocation e.g. Carpentry
- Credit for previous work or study e.g. Certificate II Construction
- Registered Training Organisation is nominated to deliver formal training
Once these requirements are satisfied and the Training Contract has been submitted to the NSW Department of Industry the apprenticeship or traineeship may be established.