Direct employment is when an apprentice or trainee is employed directly by an employer, instead of through a Group Training Organisation (GTO).
The employers’ responsibilities are the same as a GTO, including payment of all entitlements, training arranged with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO), and the registration of the Training Contract.
Tips for finding an apprenticeship or traineeship
- Devote time to the search and focus on the trade you want to work in. Check out these sites: Seek, Jora, Indeed and Careerone.
- Approach employers directly.
- Look for job vacancies in your local and state newspapers as well as major job boards.
- Visit Australian JobSearch website and search Jobactive for jobs, programs and job application tips.
- Contact Australian Apprenticeships who are in direct contact with employers and links for job search.
- Find industry associations by googling the trade and your state.
- Visit Australian Apprenticeships Pathways website for useful links to job search sites, self help resources and information.